Bow Street (1780-1971)
Single Pot Still
A historic hub of the industry, Drogheda was home to many brewer’s, distillers and merchants spanning centuries. In fact, one of the very first written records of whiskey production in Ireland appears in an Act of Parliament in Drogheda in 1556. The story of this bottling begins with the arrival of the Preston Brothers in 1886. Drogheda, once home to 18 distilleries at it’s peak in the late 18th century, dwindled down to just one, closing its doors in the 1850’s. On their arrival, the Preston Brothers took over the building, converting it to a bonded warehouse in which to age whiskey, most of which sourced from Jameson’s Bow Street distillery.
The Preston family business would continue for over a century before being taken over by by the Cairnes family who not only ran a local Drogheda brewery, but were connected to the Jameson family by marriage. Another short-lived corporate takeover later by Grants of Ireland Ltd. in 1964 led to eventual dissolution of the the Preston brand in 1968, marking the end of a centuries long era of whiskey making in Drogheda.
Rarity is an understatement when speaking of such bottlings today. We can surmise distillation occurred in the 1950’s with bottling sometime in the 1960.
*This is a 35cl bottling
Only 1 left in stock